Tuesday 19 July 2011

Games Maker test event update


Well, it is now only a month to the day until my first foray into the world of volunteering at the Olympics.

Yep, on 19-20 August I will be working as a Flash Quote Reporter at the BMX test event on the Olympic Park as part of the Press Operations team. With a month to go I have a few steps to get through before the event itself.

Firstly, on 3 August, I will be off to Earl’s Court to collect my ID pass and uniform. Not sure exactly what the ‘uniform’ consists of. I’m hoping it’s a rather snazzy polo shirt which I will be able to match up with some slacks of my own for the big day.

Let me make this clear: I have bad memories of uniforms. I worked at a large supermarket chain for three years whilst at uni and wore all sorts of ill-fitting nylon trousers of varying lengths (I am 6’ 4”), not to mention many off-white shirts and – during a period where my store had a stab at the of sartorial consistency you would expect at a chain hotel – a very, very tight tank top. All with the supermarket’s logo embroidered just above the left nipple, obviously. It was hell and my chances of catching the eye of the yummy-mummy’s who frequented the aisles on occasion was nil.

So it’s not without worry that I will arrive at Earl’s Court in a few weeks. Seeing as we will get to keep the uniform as a souvenir, I am hoping for something with some fashion ‘legs’ – if not, then that’s another item to my ever-growing car washing wardrobe.

Secondly, I have the event training on 13 August. Now this is exciting. It will take four hours and includes a tour of the venue and role-specific training.

The most interesting aspect is getting to the venue itself. I have been instructed to allow an hour to get from Stratford station to the venue, via a shuttle bus which will pick us up from the Olympic site entrance. What? How big is this place? Still, it will be a good opportunity to see how it’s all coming along and there is an air of exclusivity about it.

Apart from that, that’s all I know. But have no fear, I will be charting my experiences of the above, as well as the event itself, right here so make sure you come back to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment