Thursday 28 July 2011

Games Maker Test event: an SOS, BMX fans


It is now barely three weeks until I walk onto the Olympic Park for my Games Maker test event at the BMX track.

In case you have missed earlier posts, I will be working in the Press Operations team as a Flash Quote Reporter. Having not had the training yet, I have learnt via Google that this will involve interviewing the riders after they compete.

Firstly, a confession: I don’t follow BMX. I am a big cycling fan and follow road and track, but BMX and mountain aren’t really my bag. Perhaps it’s because my 6’+ frame isn’t conducive to having a go myself, which means my interest is low.

In fact, my only experience of BMX is of watching some ‘crazy dudes’ doing tricks on a ramp on some Rob Walker-presented extreme sports programme on Channel 4. I’m being flippant, of course. The racing form of BMX has the potential to do for the summer Games what ski cross did for Vancouver last year. There, it was easily one of the most exciting events.

This is where I need help. Can anyone give me some info on the BMX riders competing? Who’s a darling? Who’s an obnoxious little git that will spur my questions?

Are there things I should ask from previous competitions? Are there any rivalries? And should I ask Shanaze Reade about that incident in Beijing?

Any help gratefully received. If not, I shall revert to ‘What’s the new track like?’, ‘Are you looking forward to London 2012?’ and ‘Aren’t the crowds great?’.

You have been warned.

1 comment: