Friday 24 June 2011

Olympic tickets = FAIL


Got to be in it to win it. You snooze you lose. Both mantras dragged me out of my bed at 05:30.

Yes, like up to 1.2m other early risers, I chanced my arm on the second phase of Olympic tickets. I had already decided what I wanted – two athletics tickets and, assuming I wouldn’t get those, two tickets to the prelims of the beach volleyball.

The back-up was a rather pathetic attempt to get my girlfriend along to watch some scantily clad women jumping around Horse Guards Parade – the sell being that it was all I could get. I needn’t have bothered.

I was already logged in come 05:50 and refreshed dead on 06:00. I quickly searched both events and added them to the basket. I entered my payment details and watched the ‘processing payment’ screen whirl around incessantly for three minutes. I have had this before on Ticketmaster so knew that the inevitable ‘time-out’ was coming. It did.

On second attempt I wasn’t allowed to put tickets into the basket at all, getting instead the rather lovely message posted in this blog post.

That was it for me – I was more than happy to give up, mainly because come December I should know the outcome of my Games Maker application and will be in a better position to go after tickets on days I (hopefully) won’t be working. There is also the ‘re-sale’ site, remember?

Even so, it is such a shame that the tickets has been handled so poorly, as this is the first real crisis LOGOC has faced and it is the one thing that sets the tempo for the Games. I am still excited, but I know of many others that aren’t anymore.

A Games for all? It sure doesn’t feel like it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment