Tuesday 28 June 2011

Olympic Games Maker test event update


After yet another Olympic tickets debacle, LOGOC continued its rather expertly timed email campaign over the weekend.

Whilst still slightly depressed at the ‘computer says no’ farce of the second round of sales, shortly after lunch on Friday I received an email with more details of my Games Maker test event in August.

They do love their Friday emails do LOCOG.

And so it transpires that I will be taking on the role of a Flash Quote Reporter at the BMX test event on the Olympic Park come August. Having done some collaboration with my old mate Google, this appears to be interviewing athletes after they have competed and uploading the quotes onto a news wire computer system. Nice – just hope I bag that one for the main event.

The only slight downside is the sport – BMX. Now, I am a big cycling fan – I ride both road and MTB bikes and am an avid follower of the Grand Tours (can’t wait for the TdF which starts this week). But of all the cycling disciplines, BMX is the one I know the least about. Perhaps that will be a good thing?

In fact, my only real knowledge of the sport is a rather painful – but inevitable – example of a British odds-on favourite doing what they do best. Yep, Shanaze Reade taking a tumble at the Beijing Games with the gold almost round her neck.

Other things worth noting so far include the fact that there is a ‘shuttle’ bus to take volunteers and spectators to the track. Clearly the Olympic Park is still not quite there yet. And I will also be going to a training day about a week before the event – follow the blog for details of that.

It is all getting very exciting. Stay tuned for updates as the event gets closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment